Iray Tone Mapping Comparison

DAZ 4.8 introduces Nvidia’s Iray render engine. There’s much fuss going on but i don’t want to join the “is it better than 3Delight or not”-Discussion here… Well, it’s not “better”, it’s different :)

Let’s start simple and de-mystify Iray by looking at its Tone-Mapping department. It’s pretty much like working with a camera when you’re making ‘real’ photos. I like that.

So i ask my new Model Alina to help me with making a comparison. I don’t go into the boring technical things, i like to take it easy. So i just trial-and-errored my way through the Tone-Mapping tab and show you some of my results. May it help you to have a good start with that Iray thingy.

Let’s look at the default render:

iray_tone-mapping_defaultI quickly set up this simple scene, set “Environment” to “Scene Only” and left everything else – including the Camera’s Headlamp (auto) – untouched.

Continue reading “Iray Tone Mapping Comparison”

Daz3D Default Render Settings Comparison

Finally i’ve installed DAZ Studio 4.7 on my new machine, quickly loaded a default scene with the new Genesis 2 model in the limelight and even could add the female parts from Genesis 1 to it.

Then i had problems to get the rendering working but luckily found some default settings: Dragon Slayer, Fiery Genesis 2 and the High/Low/Medium settings that came with the Barefoot Dancer content.

Here’s the comparison (last pic is not a render, but a pure screenshot of the viewport):

Resume:

Well, i know that i’m getting old and my eyes are getting weaker… but even with my steam-punk monocles on i cannot see any difference! Except that pics 1 & 2 are darker than the others.

The picture quality isn’t good at all. Everything’s very blurry and the resolution is a joke – if you imagine the time it takes to render.

Dragon Slayer and Fiery Genesis 2 took about 5 minutes to render on my high-end pc.

I don’t want to troll but Barefoot Dancer High/Low/Medium simply produce exactly the same results (same quality, resolution and file size) which takes about 13 minutes – not bad for a 138KB file. I double checked it if i do something wrong… no idea.

Now look at the pure screenshot (last pic). It is not perfect (i don’t know where that little white artefact at the vagina is coming from) but clearer and larger than the rendered versions – maybe enough for post-processing in Photoshop. Adding blur, changing contrast and resizing wouldn’t take 13 minutes.

But again, i confess that i didn’t understand the render department in Daz3D yet. I only was a bit frustrated because i couldn’t set up my own render settings and then did this quick test. I’m sure there is a solution hidden somewhere in the depths of Daz’s confusing menus.

On to the next try…